Stalybridge archery club has had a shooting field since about 1955, on the present site in an area of Cheethams Park called “THE PADDOCK”, but didn’t have a club house until 1960.

The purchase and construction of the original club house is believed to have been wholly financed by the then membership of the club, back in about 1959, by either a bank loan or a common mortgage.

The members involved in the purchase of the structure all agreed to remain members of the club until such time as the debt was paid off. This as far as we know was only a gentleman’s agreement with no binding paperwork to go with it, as most of the members drifted away before the debt was paid off.

The club house may have been purchased as a flat pack unit of its day and erected on site by the then membership. The reason for this belief is that when inspecting the structure in the early 1990’s, when we were looking into the possibility of extending, it was found that the wall panels were bolted together and that the whole structure sat on simple brick piers which used a paving slab for a foundation.

The club house of the 1960’s was used somewhat more simply than its present day usage. It was primarily a shelter where member could get out of the weather whilst changing and a place for putting up their shooting gear prior to shooting in the field outside.

Personal equipment was never stored in the club house, you always took it home. It also had a simple kitchen for brewing up and for cooking on a small scale.

Although the club house has been altered and modified several times over the years by past members, the original structure is still largely there today, incorporated into the present structure, you just have to look.

Original Structure

The original structure was composed of individual wall panels, which bolted together, this makes us assume it was delivered to the club’s ground as a pre made flat pack of its day. The style and design of the structure is similar to an old fashioned wooden cricket pavilion.

The wall panels were composed of pine framing and clad with good quality white Cedar ship lap timber.

The roof trusses and floor joists are also composed of pine.

Both the internal floor and roof cladding is composed of first quality pine, tongue and groove boards.

The roof was also covered with a layer of heavy duty roofing felt.

The whole structure sits upon a heavy duty frame composed of timber joists and beams, supported on brick column piers sitting on paving slab foundations. A strip of roofing felt between the brick piers and the timber floor joists acts as a basic damp proof course.

Originally the club house also had windows in each gable end and one in each panel both to the front and rear, with each window frame having two small side opening windows.

The original entrance to the club house was via a set of double lockable central doors, each door containing several small glass windows in two columns. A large window was also set into the walls on either side of the doors.

This entrance was situated in the middle of the long side wall facing the field (where the present kitchen is located).

The access to the Entrance doors was from the right hand side of the club house, when looking at the structure from the shooting line, and was via an external wooden veranda, which ran the full length of the building. The roof of the club house extended out to cover the veranda. The front side of the veranda, and the far end incorporated a hand rail and posts composed of cedar, to form a barrier.

The interior of the club house was quite Spartan. There was a simple kitchen area, located at the right hand (as you entered the structure) gable end, consisting of a glass fronted cake display unit about four feet long with cupboards below for the storage of tea milk etc. The whole unit was set in front of a ceramic kitchen sink (there were no taps on the sink as there was no running water in the club house), which to the side of was a small gas burner unit for boiling water, which was used for both washing up and for cooking.  The floor to the kitchen area was covered with vinyl floor tiles. If you look on the floor, near the current gold shooting line, you can still see the hole where the original sink drain water pipe went.

Some amazing stuff was concocted on that small cooking range. During the dinner time break on Sundays in the winter It was quite normal to have a communal bowl of soup, the contents of which varied greatly each week depending on what each member put into the large two handled cooking pot, it could be beans and tomato soup with a dash of chill or mushy peas or strips of bacon left to cook in the soup it even had a tin of peaches dropped into it by one member.

Amazingly, members always agreed that it tasted good and it was all eaten up, never any left over.

The internal walls were bare until the early 1980’s when narrow shelves, made from polished timber planks inlaid on the top with a vinyl strip, at just over waist height, were installed by Clive Stewart-Milner and Terry Gregory. These were used to place tackle boxes on and were the first major alterations made to the club house.

The original lighting was rather crude, but of the day, and was in the form of individual gas mantles, (as use to be used in caravan’s) which required regular maintenance, spaced equally around the inside of the club house, set high up on the walls with heat guards fitted on the ceiling above. Each mantle was fed with gas from a small bore copper piping system which ran around the pavilion just under the roof trusses and the whole system then fed with gas from a replaceable storage tank which was located in the corner of the kitchen area. The light provided by this system however was of a poor quality and it flickered with any air movement, making the interior of the pavilion, at times, look quite spooky, there was also almost always a slight odour of gas assailing the nostrils, especially if you were first in the club house.

The original heating in the club house was provided by a mobile gas heater.


One of the reasons for choosing this type of building and construction, rather than a brick build, is because one of the conditions of the lease with Tameside M.B.C. and the Cheetham Park estates, which stated that if the club ever dissolved all elements of its existence on the site must be capable of being totally removed and the land then reinstated back to its original condition.  I.e. desolate.

The total disillusionment of Stalybridge archery club from the Paddock would be under the control and care of our elected trustees.

THE Extention

As already indicated the club house has gone through several changes over the years and change is always driven by our members wishing to improve their clubs facilities.

Back in 1991 a feasibility study was done by a small group of members Terry Gregory, Clive Stewart-Milner, John Shenton and Neil Foden into the possibility of extending the current structure to give us room to incorporate an indoor range. The internal length of the existing structure was measured to determine how short it was, then the ground to both ends of the building were surveyed to determine how much room we had to play with.

It was discovered that by extending at both ends we could fit in a 20 yard range, plus storage space and have an area that could be used for seating.

Neil Foden now produced some drawings showing the overall layout of the proposed new building, plus details of the individual wall and roof trusses that would need to be produced. Terry Gregory worked out quantities of materials that would be needed to build the structure. Clive Stewart-Milner & John Shenton sourced materials and costs.

Once all the details had been worked out the information was brought before the committee.

This study was submitted at the 1992 AGM, where it was passed in principle, but as the club currently shot indoors at the Armoury in Ashton, no further action was taken.

At the start of the 1993 indoor season we were suddenly face with the loss of the Armoury, due to improvement work, this meant we had nowhere to shoot that year, which caused the members to call for an indoor shoot of our own.

The process of converting the original club house into an indoor shoot and club house would involve all the members of the club at some time during the build and was also going to call heavily on the skills of a very limited number of the membership.

After much discussion and argument, the club committee at that time after reviewing the clubs financial state decided that we could afford it, if we undertook the manufacture of it ourselves, and of course with Tameside council’s approval of any extensions.

At the November committee meeting in 1993 Terry Gregory was given permission by the committee to approach Tameside council to apply for planning permission to extend the club house, which was granted in February 1994 and work started in March 1994.

Although the plan to extend the club house at both ends had been approved by the members, the detail design of the extensions were discussed at several committee meetings, prior to starting to seek planning approval from our landlord, Tameside council, this matter was dealt with by Terry Gregory who, as part of the submission, compiled all the necessary site, extension, detail drawings, material lists, and calculations required to obtain building approval from the council.

The finance for the project was controlled and handled by our treasurer at the time, Tony Taylor.

To keep cost down it was suggested to the committee that we used as much second hand material as possible, this would be the responsibility of our joiner and builder, Clive Stewart-Milner, to decide where we would use new or second hand materials.


Large quantities of second hand materials for the buildings extension were obtained from a second hand materials company in Oldham, who were at the time helping take down, for recycling, the Marlborough mill in Ashton.

The mills second hand materials would be the source of all our wood for the pavilions extensions to the floors and sub floor support frames.

The visit to the second hand yard was to turn out fortuitous for us as the yard was supervised at the time by the yards apprentice, as the boss was away at the mill. The poor boy could not tell the difference between yards and metre nor could he count beyond ten, and he was easily confused by all these men helping themselves to the yards timber. Oh! Should we take advantage of this kid? Yes, no, yes, yes. It was a real moral dilemma, however we have always been an honest club in our dealing. So as honesty is the best policy, we helped the lad count the lengths of timber that we took, we worked out the correct price for him too and also paid his boss so the lad could not be blamed for any mistakes.

Dougie Williams supplied the transport for moving the materials for the yard to the club, in the form of his works truck. It was fully loaded.

Clive decided that new materials should be used for the roof cladding, the roof trusses, as well as the new wall framing, with ship-lap timber cladding.

This material was obtained from Bentic's mill wood yard in Ashton, which is no longer in business there.

The pad foundations were cast in place using concrete provided from one of the local suppliers.

The piers supporting the sub floors were constructed from second hand brick set onto the concrete pad foundations.


All of the work involved in preparing the timber panels, foundations, piers and laying of the floors took place between March and May 1994, on Monday and Wednesday evenings, by a small group of members.

Most of the work to cut the timber to size and shape for the various wall and roof panels was completed in the target shed. The panels were also assembled and stored in the target shed too.

The foundation holes, of which there were 21 all about 600mm square and 500mm deep, were all dug by hand using picks and shovels, we even had to increase their depth by about 100mm following an inspection by the council engineer.

All the concrete for the foundations was moved from the car park, where it was dumped from the mixer truck, to the foundation holes using wheel barrows. This was one of the few jobs that were done on a Saturday.

The brickwork piers were built during the evenings over the course of a couple of weeks. The mortar for the brickwork was mixed on site and used up a lot more sand than we had available with the result we ran out of it. However a solution was at hand in the form of spoil heaps produced by the badgers which lived within the clubs boundaries. These spoil heaps were composed purely of sand, which we helped ourselves too as and when require.

The timber floor and support framework were laid both during the evenings and if there was any precise detailed work required this was done on a Saturday.


The actual erection work was carried out in one day, the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday Weekend, with the roof being covered with felt and internal tidying up being done on the Sunday.

The first job was to take out the gable end of the existing building, starting with the left hand side, which was the longer extension containing three panels each side. The bolts holding the panels in place had been loosened off during the week, so all that needed doing was to remove the bolts, prop the roof, then remove the panel. The panel was placed on the ground while the new side panels were positioned and bolted loosely together. Once these were up the gable end was put back in its new position. Next came the roof, starting with the trusses, which were placed in position, then the roof panels were positioned. Once satisfied everything was where it should the trusses and roof panels were nailed into position and the wall panel bolts tightened. The process was then repeated at the right hand side which contained two panels on each side.

To everyone’s relief the whole process went smoothly with no major problems.

The gable end window to the left hand side, which is where the targets would be placed, was taken out and closed off, for safety reasons, with ship lap cladding shortly after the extension was finished.


Those that can be remembered, naming names is all ways difficult, with the passing of time you tend to forget names, however the following, which are in no particular order, were definitely involved, but there may be others.

All these club members worked dammed hard either under their own initiative or as directed.

Cutting Timber to Size and shape

Clive Stewart-Milner, Terry Gregory

Assembling roof trusses, Wall and roof panels

Clive Stewart-Milner, Terry Gregory, John Shenton, Neil Foden, David Littlejohn.

Digging Out Foundations

John Shenton, Terry Gregory, Neil Foden, David Littlejohn, Neil Layfield.

Casting Foundations

John Shenton, Terry Gregory, Neil Foden, Charlie Backhouse

Building Brickwork Piers

Clive Stewart-Milner, John Shenton, Terry Gregory, Neil Foden, David Littlejohn, Neil Layfield

Flooring and Support

Clive Stewart-Milner, John Shenton, Terry Gregory, Neil Foden, David Littlejohn

Building Erection

David Tuxford, Neil Layfield, Peter Gregory, Ken Clough, Neil Foden, Cliff Lewis, Terry Gregory, Clive Stewart-Milner, Frank Smith, Peter Farrell, Harold Ashcroft, David Littlejohn, John Shenton, Dougie Williams, Matthew Shenton, Charlie Backhouse, Catherine Gormley, John Farrell.

Toilet Extention

Up until the late 1990’s the club did not have any real toilet facilities, other than a bucket with a chemical solution in it situated in a wooden cubicle in the target shed, which was constructed out of several old doors by Clive Stewart- Milner. These toilets were primarily for emergency use. Most of the ladies would walk either to the toilet block in Cheethams park or to the pub just up the road from the club, while the gents would relieve themselves on one of the trees behind the club house, there was even a bucket with drainage holes sunk into the ground and filled with stones, which is still there to this day. The tree, however, is now just a hollowed out stump, having been cut down around 2010 when it was discovered to be rotten and in danger of collapsing on the club house.

Neither situation was idea or appropriate, so one of the then Lady members, Sara Kirkham, looked into possible solutions which didn’t involve installing mains drainage. What she came up with was composting toilets, which required no running water or drainage, and naturally broke down the liquids and solids to form compost which could be removed and used.

The proposal was put to the committee to purchase two of these toilets, one for ladies and one for gents. The proposal was approved and the go ahead to purchase them given. We then had to decided where to install them, and after considering both the target shed and a new separate hut, it was finally decided the most convenient place was the club house, which would require converting the existing veranda area.

To achieve this four of the original front wall panels were moved forward to the front of the veranda to form a new external wall, and the ends of the veranda were clad with ship lap to match in with the existing structure. New stud walls, equal to a panel length, were built to either side of the new opening, which were filled with loft insulation and clad with timber cladding effect hardboard. The remaining opening had a new timber beam installed, to support the roof trusses. The existing veranda floor was taken up and replaced with a new floor made of second hand floor boards which were cut to size and installed by David Hankinson, with a little help from other members. Finally a further stud wall, complete with door, was built mid-way along the new stud walls, at both ends, to create toilet cubicles.

The space between the cubicles was converted to a small kitchen area with the sink and cupboards being supplied and fitted by Peter Gregory..

The planning and purchasing of the necessary materials took several weeks to do, but the actual conversion was completed over a weekend, though the internal cladding and floors were completed over the next couple of weeks.

Members who helped out included the following, Clive Stewart-Milner, Terry Gregory, Neil Foden, David Hankinson, Peter Farrell, Brian Owens, Douglas Harvey, Peter Gregory again there were probably a few more whose names have been forgotten.

The actual toilets were fitted once all the conversion work was complete, and was undertaken by Clive Stewart-Milner and Terry Gregory.



The table was donated to the club by Clive Milner, and was originally used at his place of work, Cundiffs glazing business in Ashton. The table was used for assembling stained glass windows and double glazed windows. The table originally had four large fixed legs mounted of wheels, and had a felt covered top. The legs and the felt cover were removed prior to the table being altered so that it was suitable for being mounted to the wall, under the large front window at the far end of the club house. Two toggles were fixed, one to each side, of the window. Several large hinges were then fixed to one side of the table and then to the timber frame under the window. The table was then raised and the toggles together with a couple of wedges were used to hold it in place over the window. Two of the original legs were then re attached using hinges that allowed the legs to fold flat when the table was raised, but swing out to support the table when it was lowered. The table is generally used by members to place tackle boxes while assembling their equipment, but also doubles as a work table when the need arises.


roof steel cladding

The roof to the club house is made out of tongue and groove pine, set on pine trusses and for nearly 40 years finished with a layer of heavy duty tar felt. This had to be replaced on a regular basis as it would age, become brittle with moss growing into it, and eventually leak. The original roof would take a couple of days to replace, one to remove the existing felt and another to place new felt. After the club was extended this process would take considerably longer, and of course cost over three times as much. Because of these factors it was agreed to look into the cost of covering the entire roof with steel cladding. Clive Stewart-Milner and Terry Gregory worked out the area of the roof to be covered and approached several local suppliers. In the end we opted for Atlas trading in Ashton, who could supply and deliver the relatively small amount of cladding we required, together with all the fixtures and fitting, for a cost of approximately £1500. This was all delivered to the club by Atlas one Saturday morning, and then moved inside the club house by the members.

Over the course of the next several weeks both Clive and Terry steadily fitted the cladding to the roof.


For the newer members to the club, placing a tin plate skirt around the base of the pavilion may seem rather an odd thing to do. However time and experience has given the older members of the club good reasons for doing it.

Each Autumn, the trees in the clubs ground and the adjacent park deposit huge amounts of leaves onto our field, which are then blown about by the wind, and end up accumulating in any void, especially under the pavilion where they dry out, therefore they are now a fire hazard.

Every year during the maintenance weekend some lucky soul had to go under the pavilion with a rake and rake out as many of the leaves as possible, however they would still slowly accumulate during the year, building up in to quite large quantities again.

We have on several occasions in the past had a tramps living under the pavilion during the winter months, with the danger of him smoking and accidentally starting a fire.

We have also, on occasion, had children playing underneath the pavilion, so all in all there were many very good reasons for closing off the void underneath the club house.

The material that was chosen came in the form of pre-painted formed tin plate, which was sourced by Kay Simpson from her brother, whose trade is putting decorative cladding on buildings. He generously supplied us with several offcuts of the cladding.

Bill Blake measured and cut the sheets to suit, then fitted and screwed them into position around the base of the pavilion. This was a very slow and laborious job. Each piece of tin plate, before final fitting, had first to be set into the ground, which involved digging out a narrow trench for each piece to the depth of about one foot and then filling and firming the trench in afterwards. The digger’s shifter and lifters were David Littlejohn and Terry Gregory.

This process was about seventy percent complete when the club had its grant works done during the winter of 2015/16, so the remaining sections were completed along with the grant works.


Most work undertaken at the club is for reasons of safety and general improvement. The responsibility for most of the electrical work that has been carried out and installed in our club house during the clubs history was first supervised by Terry Gregory, but from and including the installation of mains electricity, that task has been undertaken by Milan Koria.

All major installations and costs have been discussed and approved by the clubs committee as and when they have arisen over the years.

The following are just a few of these electrical installations undertaken.

·         Specifying and sourcing of our first petrol Generators. This was done by Terry Gregory & Clive Stewart-Milner

·         Installation of power points and light fittings to both the club house and target shed. This work was undertaken by a small group of members under the watchful supervision of Terry Gregory.

·         Installation of power cable between club house and target shed. This work was undertaken by members on a Saturday, again under the watchful supervision of Terry Gregory.

·         Specifying and sourcing of our first and second petrol Generators. This was done by Terry Gregory & Clive Stewart-Milner

·         Installation of a mains electricity supply. Processed by Milan Koria and undertaken by one of the power utilities, the cost of which was covered by a grant.

·         Installation of outside flood lighting with infra-red detection. This made walking between the clubhouse and the car park at lot safer, it also switched its self-off. Sourced and installed by Milan Koria.

·         Installation of an electronic latch to the main entrance. This replaced a conventional key and dead lock system, which had been in operation since the club was founded. The change was for three reasons, the first being because we now had an increasingly  popular indoor shoot, which was used at all times of the day and night, especially by our growing female membership, who could sometimes be shooting alone with all the potential risks that entailed of harm. The second reason was to stop possible unauthorised access to the club house by members who had left the club, but had not returned their key, or members who had not paid their memberships fees for the start of the new membership year. The third reason was because of the increasing cost of keys, which new members would have to pay, and at the time there were two locks on the door. The system works by the passing of an electronic fob over a sensor unit fitted outside near the door. After discussion and approval by the committee and payed for by the club the system was installed by Graham Pearson, who fitted all the door fixings, and Milan Koria who did all the electronics.


The club house interior is used for many things during any one year. From training beginners to bow tuning bow, or for social and corporate events or for any number of varied causes the club supports.

There is in the environs of the club house several pieces of equipment that can be deployed when required.

A couple of the many pieces of equipment are a pair of shelves to support a video projector and Laptop computer. These can be raised and lowered by hand from the roof trusses and are used in conjunction with a self-standing cinema screen.

The shelves were manufactured and installed by David Littlejohn with the committee’s approval and material costs payed for by the club. As soon as the first stand unit was installed it was obvious that two units would be required, one each end of the pavilion so that one end was always available. David Littlejohn manufactured and installed both units.   


This is also affectionately known by many club members as the mortality board.

The board records the winners of the various disciplines, genders and age groups that are shot each year at the club Target Championships. The board was designed, manufactured and installed by Peter Farrell. The board starts with the winners of the 1960 championships and has space to record the results up to 2030, hence why it is called the mortality board.


When the club first started to shoot indoor during the dark winter months, their first attempt was to place a standard straw boss on an “A” frame stand, in a cold and gloomy club house over a very short distance, approximately 10 yards.

With the extension of the club house and an internal twenty yard shooting range, the first targets were again on standard straw bosses set on “A” frames, but this was quickly found to be unsatisfactory, as the stands moved every time arrows were pulled out of them, and so had to be constantly realigned. This coupled with the rapid and sever damage to both bosses and stands, soon made it obvious that the system had to be improved.

The next attempt was again to use standard straw bosses, but this time set upon an open wooden frame, devised and built by Bill Blake, with the material sourced from the University of Manchester when he was working there. Behind the frame was a curtain composed of strips of plastic and fabric composite conveyor belting, laid side by side with a slight overlap. The belting is used on supermarket checkout conveyors to this day. The material was sourced by Clive Stewart-Milner. 

This system is still in use to the current day, though it has been modified twice, first to accommodate layered foam bosses and then for Danage Domino bosses. However, a change maybe on the horizon.



club house REAR EXIT DOOR

The personal safety and property of club members has always been of primary concern, and thus if a safety problem is identified the club will endeavour to correct that problem promptly.

After completing the extension of the club house to make the indoor range the problem of how to exit quickly at the target end soon arose. An exit door had been built in when we extended, but this door was lockable and did not qualify as an emergency exit. This meant the door had to unlocked each time anyone shot indoors, which raised the risk of someone opening it and walking in, but also resulted in the door sometimes being left unlocked after a shoot, which was obviously unsatisfactory. It was decided to fit the door with a proper emergency door crash bar, which Milan Koria sourced from the internet. The unit was paid for by the club and fitted by Terry Gregory and David Littlejohn. This however was not the end of the story, as it was found that being a wooden structure the door could be opened by violently banging the door and levering the frame, again this was unsatisfactory, so a solution was required. The solution it was decided was to fit a wooden drop bar that would fit into metal door mounted guides. The guides were manufactured and supplied by Mr Phillip Riddiough, and fitted by Terry and David again. To make sure the system was safe we had it checked by the local fire brigade, who gave it their approval.

The normal procedure now is that when anyone is using the club house the bar is removed, allowing the crash bar to be used to exit the building in an emergency.         

Shooting IMPROVEMENT boards

Over the years the club has had many different boards for showing members how their shooting is improving.

These boards have come in many different guises over the years and covered many different aspects of shooting. Originally there was only one, and was for recording member’s handicaps and classifications. This board, over the years, has been replaced several times with new versions as the number of members has increased and different bow styles have been adopted, plus these members have also started gaining classifications in other disciplines other than target archery.

Another board that was introduced in the 1990’s was for recording the highest score achieved on any particular round during the year. The board works on the principle that each time a member shoots recognised English or Metric round, their score can be checked against the board. If no score is currently recorded for that round, they can add their details, name, score, date shot, to the appropriate row on the board. If there is an existing score and the archer improves on it, they can wipe it off and add in their name, score etc.   

This board was updated in the mid 2000’s from one to two boards. One board was marked up with a row for every English rounds that could be shot, and a reasonable number of columns for recording improvements for all bow types as well as for Gents, Ladies and juniors, while the other board was marked up in a similar manner, but this time for Metric rounds. The layout of the new boards was designed and drawn by Catherine Ridehalgh.

Grant Works 2010

At the start of 2010 the club took a monumental step forward and had mains electricity installed, which was funded by a grant from National Lottery. However along with this grant we also managed to obtain a further grant from Tameside MBC, which was used for installing new wiring and electrical fittings within the club house and target shed, and also improving the internal structure of the club house.

This work was undertaken by Peter Gregory’s company and involved the following

·         Insulating all the walls and then boarding them out

·         Designing and installing new wall mounted, hinged selves which would be used for setting up equipment,

·         Installation of new kitchen base units.

Once all the work was completed the club held a grand opening day, with the clubs new club house being officially opened by the Lord Mayor of Tameside, who also tried his hand at Archery and managed to hit the Gold.



Grant works 2015/16

Over the winter months of 2015/16, the club again had grant works done. This grant was awarded to the club by Sports England, and while the bulk of the grant was for external works and the installation of a new toilet block, some work was also carried out on the club house.

The external works, which included levelling the field and an all new shooting/waiting area, required that the skirting around the club house be completed. A new ramp was built outside the emergency exit door at the target end of the club house. This door was also widened to allow a wheelchair to exit through it. The existing main entrance was blocked up and moved to the adjacent gable end. To complete the new entrance a complementary porch was built by Andy Massey, and a rear fence to span between the Club House and the new toilet block was installed by Terry Gregory.

We also achieved another milestone during the grant works, and that was to have mains water supplied to the club house, which required a tap to be fitted to our kitchen sink. This was proudly installed by Bill Blake.

Once all the grant works were complete, we again had a grand opening day, with the official opening again being done by the Lord Mayor of Tameside (Not the same one as previously).




Roof Conversion

One of the biggest problems we faced with our indoor range is the lack of height at the eaves. This has meant that that the outer spaces have had to be used by either compound archers or archers who are a little on the short side. For several years the idea of raising the roof over the shooting line has been discussed, but it wasn’t until mid 2016 that the idea came to fruition. Another grant was awarded to the club, from a local charity, which allowed the work to be undertaken. The conversion involved raising the section of roof directly over the shooting line by about 18 inches, which required stripping the roof cladding off that section, then stripping the roof of the felt under lay where it was exposed, taking up and removing the wooden tong and grove roofing, insulation and roofing boards, and then altering the trusses in situ to the new roof line. Once this was done the timber roof and cladding was replaced and the new vertical sides clad with timber shiplap, insulated and boarded internally. The external faces were painted to match the existing colour, while the internal faces were finishes with a white gloss.

The builder who did the work was Philip Boreckyj, while the painting was undertaken by Andy Massey.




Hot Water

After nearly sixty years the club finally got the luxury of on tap hot water, in the form of a wall mounted heater, which is a state of the art heater usual fitted into caravans. This was very kindly donated to the club by one of the guests who had attended one of our corporate have-a-go days.


In 2017 the cost of electricity used by club members was starting to get out of control, members were using and leaving on all the pavilion internal lights, rather than switching off those that were not required when shooting indoors and worse still leaving them on during the daylight hours when shooting outside. The club needed to somehow reduce its electricity bill.

In and all the time does not help it keeps the lights on.


Andy Massey, the Secretary, proposed a rolling program to change all the fluorescent light fitting to LED fitting over a period of several months. This proposal was approved by the committee.

The new fittings would be the same physical unit size with a slightly increased lumen output but running at 27 watts only.

The first stage in this process was completed in January 2018.

The two old target lighting units were removed and replaced with three new LED light fittings, each unit of which gives an output of 1000 lumen with 120 degree spread. These were installed by Andy Massey and Dean Memory aided by Linden McCusky and watched over by Terry Gregory.

The light colour difference, when the new units were first switched on, was unbelievable. This most import roll was carried out by Daniel Barton, a junior member at the club, who acted as the official first time switcher “on” of the new target lights.

Windows Double Glazed

Work on with the pavilion is always an ongoing item, both to maintain and improve the structure and content. One of these improvements was to replace all the existing wooden, single glazed windows with uPVC double glassed units. These were generously donated by Kevin ???????, a new member, who was replacing his current home windows with a new set, so he brought the old ones down to the club. Kevin was also a retired building company owner so as well as donating the windows he also, with a little help from other members, installed them.

All majority of the work was done during the annual maintenance day, 2018, with three windows being installed to the main seatting area, the old gents toilet room and the kitchen area.

The existing window to the old ladies toilet area was removed and the opening filled in, cladded over and painted to blend in with the current external appearance.